Ah, fish and chips, the ultimate comfort food and a true British classic. We love it, but knowing that fried food isn’t the healthiest option, it tends to be a treat. However, this fab recipe has cut the calories by using breadcrumbs and baking for a more hearty healthy meal that’s great fun to make.
Even better, by using Udi’s Gluten Free bread, coeliacs or those living a gluten free life can get involved too. Serve it with a bit of fun by rolling it in greaseproof paper and then in newspaper – you could even sit outside and pretend you’re by the sea!
Recipe: Fun Fish Goujons and Chips
For the Fish
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 400g White Fish (We recommend cod but it’s your choice)
- 1 egg
- 100g White Bread or Udi’s Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread
For the Chips
- 1tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 large potatoes
- Heat the oven to 200C/ 180C Fan/ Gas 6. For the chips – pour the vegetable oil into a baking tray and warm in the oven for 3 minutes. Cut the chips into 1cm thick chips and toss in a bowl with the paprika and some salt and pepper. Spread evenly on the tray and cook for 40 minutes shaking them half way through.
- For the Fish – Beat the egg in a shallow dish. Blend the Udi’s Gluten Free bread into tiny breadcrumbs and place on plate. Using a grater, finely zest the lemon in with the breadcrumbs. Slice the fish into 10 pieces and dunk into the egg mix. Then transfer the fish to the breadcrumb plate and roll in breadcrumbs until completely covered.
- Brush a baking tray with the oil and place the freshly rolled fish in breadcrumbs on. Squeeze the lemon over the fish so they cook with the juices and embrace the flavour. Bake them at the same heat as the chips for 20 minutes until golden.
- For fun, serve them mixed together in greaseproof or parchment paper, then for extra effect, wrap that in Newspaper. Season with salt and vinegar to taste and Enjoy!